Happy Housewarming

Things have been a little busy lately! If you’ve read my “about me” section of the blog, or know me at all, then you know I make string art with my Designs by Devan business. (Check it out, here)

Well, I made a string art for someone who is a LuLaRoe consultant, and she shared it with other consultants, and I now have 50 orders to fill! Crazy!!! So, needless to say, I have a lot of work to do. But, there’s always time for a personal project, and I’m going to share that with you.

My bestie is in the process of buying a house, so of course she is always on Pinterest to find decorating ideas. I saw that she pinned a DIY headboard, so I took it upon myself to build her a similar headboard.

I was just back in Maryland for a few days, which is where she lives, and I was going to keep quiet about building it for her, but it’s a good thing I didn’t! I needed her to get me some measurements of the bed. I thought she had a queen size bed, but turns out she has a king. So it’s a good thing I did ask her!

The bed was going to require a 77 inch long headboard. I didn’t want to make it any longer, because I have never seen the space, so I didn’t know if there was any room for extra length. From the floor to the top of the mattress was 20 inches, so I wanted to take that into account when I planned the headboard height.

I came up with a plan of using 1x6s for the slats on the back of the headboard. For this, I used six of them. In order to make them 77 inches, I needed to buy 1x6x8 and cut them down. I used 2x4s for the legs of the headboard, and I also used a 2×4 for extra support along the bottom. The legs were 4 feet, and the back support was 77 inches. I don’t have a large vehicle, so I took advantage of Lowes offering free cuts, and had everything cut down in the store, instead of cutting it at home.

The first thing I did after coming home with the wood was sanding. I sanded down the rough edges with my Detail Palm Sander from Harbor Freight. Following that, I lined up the slats.


The next thing I did was decide where to place the legs. I decided to put the top of the leg halfway down the top slat. After that was finished, I connected the bottom support to the legs. I did this first, because I wanted to be sure that the structure stayed square, and didn’t move around.


It was all easy from here! Next, I attached all of the slats. For the slats and the bottom support, I used 2 inch screws.


Since the headboard is so long to accommodate a king size bed, I wanted to add some extra support in the middle of the slats. For this, I used the pieces of wood that were cut off of the 1×6. Since I was attaching 1×6 to 1×6, I needed to use a smaller screw than a 2 inch. I used a 1.5 inch screw for this step, and I put them in a diagonal pattern for maximum support.



Normally, I wouldn’t gift an unfinished project, but in this case, I didn’t want the stain to get all over everything during transport, so the staining was done by Heather (my bestie), later on.


Here it is! Heather stained the headboard in Minwax Jacobean to match her night stands that she made from wooden crates. She sent me a picture…


It looks great, and I can’t wait to see it in her finished bedroom! Here is the happy Heather with her housewarming present!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s