I know I’m not the only person who see’s something and thinks, “Oh I can make that”. In this case, I saw something on Pinterest and automatically thought it was going to be a set of building plans, but instead it was a sale posting sponsored by Zulily. The post was pretty old, so the item was no longer available for purchase.
I figured this would be a simple project, and it was. I went to Lowes yesterday for the materials, but while I was there, I also picked up an early birthday present for myself, from my mom. This made my project even simpler.
This is a Multi Function Worktable/Sawhorse. I LOVE it. It’s collapsible, so it doesn’t take up much space, which is perfect for me. The built-in clamps are so convenient, and it has so many other features. It is also able to hold my miter saw on top of it!! No more sitting on the ground of my screen porch for cuts. So, as I mentioned above, this made my project a breeze.
To get a general idea of size, I opened the sale posting, which directed me to Zulily’s website. The dimensions were listed as 24 inches tall and 18 inches wide. I sketched out a basic plan.
As you can see, I was going to need around 11.5 feet of wood. I purchased two 6 foot boards of 1×4 lumber, three hooks, and a piece of plywood for the chalkboard. I already had plenty of leftover 2×4 around the house for the legs of the shelf.
So, the first thing I did was cut all of the wood, sand it, and place it where it needed to go.
These are 24 inches long, and 17.5 inches across. Look how awesome these clamps are! They sit inside grooves on the table. To secure these five pieces together, I used some scrap wood leftover from the headboard I built last week, and 1-1/4 inch wood screws.
The next step was to assemble the shelf. For this, the legs are 2x4x3.5, and the shelf is 1x4x17.5. I used 2-1/2 inch screws and drilled from the shelf top, down into the 2×4. These screws will not be visible, being on top of the shelf, so I wasn’t too worried about my decision.
To attach the shelf to the message board, I used 2- 1/2 inch screws, and screwed from the back into the 2×4 legs.
During all of this, I also painted the plywood with Valspar Chalkboard Spray Paint. Now, I know what you’re thinking…”Devan, you said you would never buy Valspar Spray Paint again.” I know, I know…but it was my only option, and I actually don’t have anything negative to say about this one.
The piece of plywood I bought was 2 feet by 2 feet. My miter saw wouldn’t have been able to cut it, because of the size, so I had it cut at Lowes. The chalkboard is 16×14. I probably could have gone down to 12, instead of 14, but 14 is just fine.
Next, I stained the message board. If you’ve never seen the colored stains from Varathane, you are definitely missing out!! Unfortunately, I don’t have anywhere nearby to purchase it. Home Depot sells it, but only select locations. My mom can buy it back home, and I actually stole some from her. She (we) have Coral, Vintage Aqua, and Worn Navy. I used Worn Navy on this project.
Aren’t they pretty!? These jars are from A.C. Moore, only $1 each!
So, I stained the message board, and let the stain dry overnight before attaching the chalkboard.
When I woke up this morning and remembered I could finish my project, I sprung right out of bed! I decided to glue the chalk board to the message board with Gorilla Wood Glue. I centered it, and made sure it was straight. Since I needed to add weight to hold it down, I set my heavy tool bag on top, and used four small clamps to hold down the corners.
While the glue was drying, I screwed in the hooks below the shelf. I started in the middle, and used a straight edge to make sure they would be even.
Once the glue dried, the last step was to attach the hanging wire! I used a heavy duty picture hanging wire, and wrapped it around two screws, and drilled into the wood.
You can also see the little compartments on the table that holds onto screws, nails, etc.
So, there you have it! A cute little message board with hooks for a little less than $30. Now, time for me to hang it up!